I noticed that my open notes on learning how to do content marketing with Medium, communities and Twitter etc is quite popular. So I decided to build in public with my podcast as well. You can see my journey below.
January to February 2022
- Started the year not that interested in podcasting, honestly.
- Considering how to stop doing The Marketing Automation Discussion.
- Realized I loved interviewing but wanted to talk to people outside of narrowly defined “Marketing Automation”.
- Thought about creating a new hobby podcast where I talk to bankers, marketers, and founders.
March to May 2022
- Decided to create my hobby show.
- Called the podcast, Build Finance Grow.
- Created a Substack
- Booked 5 awesome guests. All are basically because the guest was generous.
- Focused a lot on ‘lifestyle digital businesses’. My first interest here.
- Struggling a little with focus for my personal projects. Too many.
- My friend David encouraged me to focus on a single show, under my own name.
- Decided and consolidated my podcasting into 1 show, renamed Build Finance Grow to my name.
- Had a new headshot made, on saalif_art on Fiverr $35.
- Focused on a niche, SaaS marketing (with a lean towards content marketing).
- New podcast cover art from a chap on Fiverr, $15.
- Joined Goodpods, but can’t get my podcast listed on my profile (or even open my podcast on the platform).
- Booked some awesome guests. Trying to use the technique taught by Alex Berman for my outreach.
- One guest commented that they loved the way I planned to promote the content, as a deciding factor.
- Had my first guest who really helped co-promote it. About 30 new website visitors, 0 signups.
- Updated process to have a pre-interview session with guests new to podcasting. We outline the topic and angle so they can prepare more than usual