I originally read about content promotion using communities from Benji Hyam. His technique suggested that you could get fairly quick and immediate traffic from the right communities if you aren't a spammer, and were actually engaged in those communities.
I saw this tactic as a win-win, because I’m actively looking to network and learn from other people so it made sense that I could spend a little bit of my time in those same communities to share some of my own learnings as well.
Sadly it seemed like Benji had moved away from using communities as a major content promotion method, but I thought it was interesting to try anyway and just see how it goes for myself.
Other content journeys:
3 Sub Reddits
- 2 Audiences on Reddit
- 1 forum, Indiehackers
- 4 Slack channels
- New; Product Hunt
- Picked some engaged communities on Reddit, Forum and Slack channels
- Discarded Growth Hackers because the community on Circle is so inactive
- Discovered GummySearch on IndieHackers
- No major plan right now other than just trying to engage
- Feel a bit uncomfortable on Reddit given the naming of my blog
- Tested a technique where you run a poll first, then message the people who replied.
- Got 30 responses across different Slack channels, about 3 people were interested for the link via DM.
- Don’t think I can run that every time.
- 2 posts
- 19 comments
- 19 Comments
- 2 posts
- Made a dedicated effort to try engage in several niches
- Noticed ‘news round up‘ threads did well
- Interviewed Folio Fed from GummySearch on how the Reddit marketing strategy works
- Created 2 audiences to track
- Added a few tracked keywords
- Started some engagement on the platform with comments
- Found this awesome piece by Ross Simmonds on Reddit posting data
- Made friends with another Redditor with high follower count
- Made friends with a Slack user, a marketing manager who organized a podcast interview on SaaS video marketing for me
- They helped co-promote the episode, leading to approximately 30 visitors
- 7 posts
- 20 comments
- 14 visitors
- 1 post
- 25 comments
- 6 blog visitors from Reddit
- Unknown from Slack
- No idea how to properly use Product Hunt, just liking a few products
- Made my own list on PH
- Jeff gave me a lead that Ross Simmonds had good work on Slack marketing
- Not much activity as I was out of commission with covid and an operation mid-July.